One of two things usually happens to me on Sundays: I either eat an enormous (boozy) brunch then have no appetite until the late afternoon, or I forget to eat breakfast altogether and don’t realize how hungry I am until two hours before dinner. For the days when I’m too hungry to wait till dinner, I’ll usually pull together something easy but healthy and satisfying, like a small salad and some toast for some extra substance.
This past Sunday, after a hard morning workout, I visited the grocery store and grabbed some small things that caught by eye: some crisp butter lettuce, amazingly red radishes, and some baby tomatoes, then came home and paired the sharp salad with some sweet tahini toast with jam, inspired by the Love Toast at Dimes.
Butter Lettuce with Radishes, Tomatoes, and Dijon Vinaigrette
1/2 clove fresh garlic, peeled
1 pinch salt
1.5 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 teaspoon red wine vinegar, plus some to taste
1 tablespoon honey
5 tablespoon olive oil
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/2 head of butter lettuce
5 radishes, greens removed and cut into disks
10 golden baby tomatoes, cut lengthwise
- To make the Dijon vinaigrette: Place the garlic into a small food processor, then add the salt, Dijon, red wine vinegar, and honey, blend until combined. While keeping the food processor on, add one tablespoon of olive oil at a time to emulsify. Set aside. (You can also do this all by whisking the ingredients together in a bowl, but I find it much easier to do let the processor do the work.)
- Tear the butter lettuce into roughly bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl, then add the radishes and tomatoes.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, to taste. (You will likely have some dressing leftover, which you can use to dip any leftover radishes into for a perfect snack).
Love Toast with Fruit, a.k.a. Tahini Toast with Jam and Mint
1 slice bread
3 tablespoon tahini
2 tablespoon boozy jam
1 tablespoon chopped mint
Raspberries (if in season)
- Toast the bread, then add tahini. Spread the jam over the tahini and add chopped mint on top. Add some fresh raspberries on top if in season.
- Shoo away your boyfriend when he comes over to steal a bite.